Sunday 8 March 2009

Week 6-Creating ident 1 part 2

To start I opened the scene with all the play equipment in. Next I imported the bear, scaled him by the same amount as I did in the other parts of this animation and positioned him in the middle of one of the roundabout seats. When placing Ted on the seat I was careful not to leave a gap between the bear and the seat, but also not to have the two intersecting.

Afterwards I put a target camera into the scene. I aligned this with the roundabout and, with the move and rotate tools made sure Ted was in the middle of the shot. The alignment was made easier by changing one of the viewports into camera view. The last step was to group the roundabout, bear and camera together.

Then I rescaled the timeline to 75 frames as I wanted this section of the timeline to last for a total of 2 ½ seconds.

Next I selected the set key button and used this to create a rotation between the first and last frame. To do this I placed a key frame at frame zero and went to frame 75. At this frame I used the rotate tool to move the roundabout, bear and camera group in a clockwise direction along the z axis and added a set key at this frame.

I was really happy with the animation and so went on to work on the setting. To start I included an omni light as a sun above the scene to represent sunlight. I used the coordinates to position the light so that it was in the same position as the other parts of the ident already created.

It was not quite right with just this light as most of the bear was in shadow. Therefore I added an additional light to highlight the bear. For this I used a target spot light and arranged it so it highlighted the front of the bear. I lowered the intensity to 0.3 so it did not overpower the scene. After I attached it to the group.

When I played the animation I was disappointed as the light did not animate and the bear went in and out of shadow. Therefore I had to change this and so removed the target spot light and replaced it with an omni light. I wanted the lighting to be the same in the scene as it was in the spot light so I took care positioning it. Also, I positioned the light above the roundabouts pivot point, this being the centre of the roundabout.

When I played this I was really happy with the lighting. This part is now complete. Next week I will go on to create the follow on to this part.

No comments: