Sunday 1 March 2009

Week 5- Continuing to Create the Scene

This week I started from the point I finished last week and so did more work on the helter-skelter.

Helter-Skelter

The first thing I did was to add the safety bar to the stairs. For this I used a cylinder and set the radius to 0.89 and the height equal to the height of the stairs. I then cloned several copies and placed them around the edge of the steps.

Next I reduced the height of some of the side bars so they were level with the bottom stair and did not block the entrance. Then I used the scale tool to adjust the width of the slide so it did not intercept the steps.

This worked well for the majority of the stairs, but not for the platform at the top. Due to this I used a cylinder again with the same radius, but made the height shorter so it levelled the top of the other bars, but only from the platform.

I was happy with the slides appearance at this point and so went on to create the top. I felt the best shape to use for this would be a cone and so drew one out with a base radius of 38.508, top radius of 0 and height of 24.34 as I wanted it to end with a fine point and be in proportion to the rest. I then placed it on the top so it was central to the rest of the slide.

After looking at the helter-skelter I felt the slide came to an abrupt end. Due to this I decided to add a flat section onto the end. For this I used a box and placed it at the end of the slide.

I then created supports for the end of the slide by creating a cylinder. I set its radius to 1 and height to 5.952. Lastly I cloned the shape several times and placed them evenly under the slide.

I am really pleased with the way this has turned out and so I am going to move on to a different part of the project.

No comments: