Wednesday 8 April 2009

Easter-Completing ident 1 part 1

At this point there was basic animation of all the necessary elements in the scene. The animation of the robots leg was only partly complete and so this was the first thing I worked on.

Currently I had one complete cycle of the robot pushing on the ground so I opened the curve editor and applied a cycle to the current animation of each bone in the leg used to create the propelling motion throughout the animation. I also edited some of the points along the curve to improve the animations movement, this being raising vertex points to make the movement more evident. The result of this was that this part of the animation was much improved.

Next I added a target camera to the scene and positioned it so that the roundabout and characters were central in the shot. I managed to get some of the playground equipment in the background included as well and so I was pleased with this.

Then I added lighting to the scene starting with an omni light. I put this in the same location as I had previously used for this part of the scene and set the intensity to 1 with shadows to try to make the lighting consistent.

With just this light in the scene I felt it was too dark and so I added a target spot light to highlight the roundabout, robot and Ted as these are the focus of the animation. I positioned the light so it pointed towards the subjects and set the intensity to 0.5 which I felt was a good level of lighting.

I was reasonably pleased with the lighting at this point, but did not like the evident light ring produced from the target spot light. To resolve this I turned on the far attenuation and set the range between 140 and 200. There was still a slight patch of light evident, but I was unable to remove this without making the subject darker.

The final alteration I made was to the move of the roundabout group. When I watched it I noticed there was a period of easing in and out at the beginning and end which would not be suitable. I used the curve editor to set the end point to speed up. This worked well with the preset of ease in and so I am happy with this.

No comments: