Sunday 8 February 2009

Research Boards

At this point I am not sure which television station I want to create my idents for, so I have started my research boards by creating one with a collection of idents from different channels. I hope from this I will get some inspiration of possible idents I could create later this semester.

By creating this research board I have noticed several things about current and past idents. I have learnt that there are a lot of similarities in the way they are designed. Firstly, the subject of the idents are chosen so that it is aimed at the channels target group, for example Cbeebies and CBBC's idents are aimed at children whereas BBC2 idents are plainer and basic as it is a more serious channel with an older age group. Also, there is the use of a consistent character or characters throughout a set of idents, such as the BBC 3 blobs and the Cbeebies blobs. Other channels use shapes within their idents and incorporate them into different environments, such as channel 4's use of the number four and BBC 1's use of circles linking to the shape of the letter ‘o.’ There are quite often consistencies in colour schemes, for example ITV1's colours are black and yellow and BBC 3 idents are blue. Lastly, I found that there are quite often idents created for special occasions, such as Christmas idents.

From this research I have decided to create a set of idents for the CBBC channel. I have chosen this channel as I feel that there is a lot of potential and hope it will inspire me to create good idents.

All the idents I found for the CBBC channel are aimed at the target group as they are quite fun, have a lot of activity and the ideas are creative. There is a consistency of colour, with mainly the use of blue and green. All the letters which spell out CBBC are bright green and stand out from the background. There are no consistent characters used in the idents, but the letters are animated instead. The font is also important as it is quite interesting and would appeal to children.

Now I know what channel I will create my set of idents for I will now look at the target group's interest. I hope this will give me ideas on what I can include in the animations which will allow me to aim them at my target group.

I have selected all of these images as I associate them with childhood and got the ideas from the internet, catalogues and my own childhood memories. I tried to include things for both genders and a range of items other than just toys.

From my research I hope it will inspire me to create exciting idents for my target group. I will now use these research boards over the next few days to think of ideas.

No comments: