Monday 6 October 2008

Week 3 Tutorial- Materials

From what I have learnt about materials today I feel this will be a very useful tool for my project. Applying the colours seemed to be a very simple process, and even though the textures were more complex I still managed to do it quite easily.

To start with I tried to apply different effects to spheres by using the preset options of Blinn, anisotropic, metal shader, multilayer and translucent shader. Most of these turned out quite well apart from the couple which looked very similar, and I feel I could get the effect I require with a bit of patience. One thing which I did struggle with was arranging the spheres as the layout did not look the same in both of the viewpoints.

I then tried to add a bitmap image to one of the spheres using the "Get Materials" icon. This process was quite simple with only slight editing needed to get the red spots in the position I wanted them to be in. I believe that this will really help me to apply the appearances I want to shapes or surfaces which are not preset in the menu.

Afterwards I added a checkerboard to a sphere and edited part of the design by adding a material to part of the surface. I think that this looks quite effective; however I am not sure how I could incorporate this into my project images.


Secondly I tried to apply different materials to one object. For this I used a teapot. I decided to try to include flat colours and patterns to make sure I could apply both in this situation. I did have some trouble to begin with when trying to apply pattern as I could not get back to the original window which listed all of the materials. Eventually I worked this out and was able to apply the materials to the teapot quite easily.

I am pleased with the progress I made during this tutorial. I feel quite a lot of what I learnt today could be useful to me during my project.

No comments: