Tuesday 9 December 2008

Week 11- Finishing touches to my image of June

I am still not happy with the appearance of my image of June and feel certain areas need to be changed. I feel the main problem is sections in the background, mainly the trees. Due to this the trees were the first things I tried to improve.

I started by working on the lighter trees. I applied a blur to the material map to the value of 2.5 and changed the bump value to 18. It took quite a while to find this combination to be the best, but eventually I found this worked reasonably well. As this had improved the appearance slightly I used the same method on the darker trees.

Lastly as an attempt to improve this part of the image I applied mesh smooth in the modifier list to each tree to try to get rid of the edges which were created as a result of using the soft selection tool to modify the original shape. I feel this did help to some extent but I am still not completely happy with their appearance.

The last step I did to improve this image was to work on the grass on the plane. I increased the bump of the material map slight to 40 as I felt the slight increase would highlight the layers in the grass. I am really pleased with the way the grass turned out as the clarity of the detail is reduced over the distance and so gives the image a more realistic aspect.

Overall I feel several parts of the image went well while others did not. For example, I am really pleased with the material I created on the lake as this, along with the slightly rippled surface give a good suggestion of water. I was also quite pleased with the outcome of the heron, dragonfly and butterflies as I feel they look quite realistic. These parts do not jump out when the picture is viewed initially but are gradually noticed and so add to the scene. However, I am still slightly disappointed with the trees in the background as I am unable to get them to look how I had planned. If I had more time I would probably start these again.

In this image I wanted to create the feel of tranquillity as this is what I associate with the month of June. I feel I have created some tranquillity, especially as the colours which dominate the scene are blues and greens.

No comments: