Thursday 29 January 2009

Week 1- My First 3D Animation

Today is the first time I have attempted to create an animation in 3Ds Max, and with this in mind feel I have managed to complete the tasks quite well.

To begin with I just added key frames along the timeline and adjusted the position of the content at these points. At first I did occasionally forget to click on the key button, but after some practice I started to remember this each time.

When I went on to look at the Curve Editor I found understanding it quite difficult. When I was just concentrating on the shape moving up and down I found the graph in the Curve Editor easy to work with, as when the object went up so did the line and vice versa, however when I added movement along other axis’s I did find the graphs quite confusing to understand, but I hope with further use of the software for animation I will be able to work with these more easily.

I also looked at the dope sheet during the lesson. I did not use it to make any alterations as the animation I was creating was very simple, but if I ever need to align more complex movements I believe this would be very useful.

Lastly I went on to practice attaching and using a dummy. During the tutorial I only tried a simple movement of a single object, but from this I feel it will be a very useful tool when animating several objects at once, especially if they are close together.

I feel I have understood how to produce a basic animation during today’s tutorial well and, along with the notes I made, I believe I will be able to create another animation in the future using these techniques. I hope to build on these skills in future tutorials so by the end of the semester I can create a more sophisticated animation.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Good write up! Like the animation video you made! Keep up the good work (sorry can't think of anything else to say)

midibilisim said...

very nicee.. bravo... nonstop alwayss